These next 3 pics show details of the corners:
Here's how I made it in brief:
- I dye-painted a sheet of Tissuetex for the back - for hanging strength
- I made silk paper (silk fusion) out of many different kinds of dyed silk and banana fiber
- When dry I free-motion stitched wavy and circular patterns across the piece
- I also made cording from silk and other materials and stitched this down
- I machine embroidered many elements onto water-soluble backing. When the stabilizer was dissolved and the items were dry, I stitched them into the picture with monofiliment thread. Included are the clown fish, the two koi together, 3 differently colored pieces of coral, fisherman's netting, a starfish, a little colorful fish, a seahorse, and my favorite -- a school of jellyfish.
- I finished it off with shells, beads, and some hand embroidery with silk thread.
It was an entire week's work, but worth it. Hope you like it -- I sure do!