Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Silk "Paper" Bowls -- Leaf Motif

As you can see from the title, I've made several silk paper vessels/bowls using leaves as my theme. I love all things nature, especially leaves, trees, and flowers. These were made using different techniques, which I will explain. Please do this for me -- pick your favorite one and write why in the comments section.

Bowl 1 = Threadpainted silk paper that had leaves captured within the layers (hard to see), with dyed silk organza backing, made using Laughing Cat pattern. It was cut in the shape of a leaf with slits that when sewed up, made it into a 3-d bowl. I used 5 different threads and gold angelina. Dimensions are 15" long x 10" wide x 2.5" high.

Top View




























Bottom View





































Side View







Bowl 2 =  Extra large bowl with trapped skeleton leaves on inside, with multiple colors of silk. After it was dry it was too thin so I added another layer of purple over it. It has a nice look inside and out. Dimensions are 14" diameter x 6" high.


Side View

Top View
























































Bowl  3 = Undyed silk paper bowl with silk paper leaves. These leaves were made one per day on a clay mold that had the veins prominent. I free motion stitched these veins and then stitched them onto the bowl. I also transferred an image of a single maple leaf onto the bottom of the inside using L.Rileys TAP. But I didn't like the way it came out (some of the paper wouldn't come off), so I stitched on one more silk paper leaf. However in the bottom view you can see the transferred image. Dimensions are 12" diameter x 5" high.

Side View

Top View





































Bottom View























































Bowl 4 = Dark green bowl with one mulberry leaf (purchased) placed on the bowl mold before adding the silk caps This is made from 3 thin silk caps, making the bowl translucent in places. I left the ends to hang naturally and not cut them off. Plus I added silk ribbon and green leaf beads around the top of the bowl. Dimensions are 6" diameter x 4.5" high.

Top View

Side View


Bowls 5 and 6 = Bowls using the same mold (a cereal bowl), trapping skeleton leaves inside. The colors are different and I created them by spritzing dye on the finished mold of undyed silk caps (instead of dying the silk beforehand). This is a technique I came up with while playing; I haven't seen it anywhere in the books. I kind of like it...especially the possibilities, which are endless. Dimensions are 6" diameter x 4.5" high.

Top View

Side View

Top View (with bowl on its side). Sorry 'bout the bkgrnd.

Side View


So there you have it for now. Which one or ones do you like and why? BTW I've got a lot more silk paper creations in the works. My mind is overflowing with ideas; I just wish there were more hours in the day!

14 comments:

  1. I'm voting for bowl 4 because of the transparency and the embellishment around the edge. They are all beautiful though and I'll look forward to seeing future work.
    As for art vs craft - some people just don't know art when they see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all quite beautiful, the blue colored was my favorite until I saw the rust with skeleton leaves. Then when I scrolled down to the previous post the tall multi colored one is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous! I love the leaves... who ever said they were craft and not art needs a reeducation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do tours at the local Art Museum. Your work is as good as any fiber art I have seen displayed. I love them all, but especially the ones that look like lettuce leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all lovely. Who cares what they say anyway, if you love them...which you obviously do...that's all that really matters. I couldn't even pick a favorite. Keep going with these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the first one...it is gorgeous! I tend to like simple, but beautiful pieces versus more ornate pieces. The others are very nice and unique, but they have too much going on to appeal to me.
    I have just received my copy of "Silk Paper" book and looking forward to learning more about this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the 1st leave with the beaded main vein - beautiful touch. This may sound strange but I love the view of the 3rd bowl from the bottom :) Really great job on all of them. I do like the integrated leaves very much. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so awesome! Very delicate and unique. Bravo! Number one with the beads - my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first is my favorite - one leaf in itself as the bowl... beautifully stitched.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Love where you are going w these! So creative and the colors are so pretty. If you really want a gut reaction, would not combine pre-cut or pre-made fabric embellishments or computerized stitching w your gorgeous work..to me it takes away so much of the hand-craftedness of it. Your work is so pretty on its own. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings and apologize if I offended in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work is fantastic -- very unusual and striking. Thanks for finding my mixedmedia post about blogging; was hoping for a bigger response.

    I host a Fiber Cybershop and I"d love if you could submit your artfire shop link for my next display. If so, go to the "submit" section. I'm looking to get more experimental and unsual work such as your on there, to really reach a range of fiber artists:

    http://www.squidoo.com/fave-fiber-artists

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for adding your shop link to Sandra's Fiber Cybershop. I will definitely include you in the next display.
    Also, if you have favorite fiber links, would love it if you could add them to my other site, a Fiber resource one. Having links to do with silk would be a great addition.

    You'll see "submit fiber links" at:

    http://www.squidoo.com/sandras-fiberworks-fiber-hub

    I'm also looking for good yarn shopping links, if you have any...

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow.. they are all so lovely!!! i wish i can do that too!!!
    i'll be following your blog..

    ReplyDelete