Monday, January 31, 2011

Julia's Bat Mitzvah Quilt

I made this pinwheel twin-size (with extra long sides to cover what's under her messy bed) for my special neice who recently had her Bat Mitzvah on her 13th birthday. The ceremony and her readings made me very proud. Unfortunately I changed the design a couple of times so the quilt wasn't ready for the big day, but she was SO HAPPY when she did get it a month later.

Over the summer she and I went to the local quilting store and she picked out all the fabrics. She wanted her favorite animal incorporated somehow so I appliqued panda bears on each front corner. The surprise part was what I would do for the backing. With kids, you never know. This ended up being more of a surprise for me than her because of how much she loved it...I put lime green with white dots MINKY on the back and used satin binding around the edges. I can't believe how much she loved the quilt, how the softness of the backing was just what she wanted, how the satin binding reminded her of her blankies as a baby, how the white of each pinwheel part brightened her room. I love you Julia. Here's a pic of the whole quilt laid on her living room floor:


Julia's pinwheel quilt





































Here's a pic of the center detail:


















This is my beautiful Julia loving her quilt:




















And this is myself and Julia mugging it up for the camera:

Julia and Kim


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful quilt, I just love the colours, so fresh and bright. I also love the idea of including pandas, what a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete