On Sunday I took a class at my local quilt shoppe and we began a landscape quilt from a kit -- "Della's Cottage" copyrighted by Columbine Designs. Our instructor was Karla Wilsey, an attorney who makes beautiful landscapes when she can. Even though I now have an arsenal of techniques for my landscaping I DID learn a few things, so it was totally worth it. For anyone who has ever seen this (very small) landscape, I put down the basics but veered off the pattern for my own highlights and embellishments.
|Della's Cottage 20" x 22"|
As you can see, the landscape portion is small - only 7.5" wide by 9.5" high. I found this wonderful landscape fabric in my stash and I thought it went perfectly with the colors and the theme, so I made a large border. My extra embellishments include puffed-up batting on the snow, angelina on the river, snow on the mountains, and extending the pine tree into the border.
The two things I learned in this class that I didn't know before are:
1. Cording. We made the tree using several strands of crochet thread (that you can get at Michael's or Joann's). The thread was zig-zagged over with a matching/coordinating thread and voila you have a cord. Four of these were sewn together onto the foundation muslin to make the tree and cut-up pieces as the branches.
2. Another way to make snow. The instructor gave us a shiny piece of poly-something, we ironed MistyFuse onto the back and when it is still warm, we scrunched it up to make the drifts. Very cool. As I mentioned above, I then sewed down some fluffy poly batting with Monofil thread, and fluffed it to cover the stitches.
Here's detail of the landscape portion:
|Della's Cottage - detail of landscape 7.5" x 9.5"|
Oh no, I see a jump thread right there on the pin needles. I'll take care of that. I used variegated green thread to make the smaller evergreens, and a darker variegated green for the large tree's pine needles. I outlined the clouds in a variegated blue & white thread, used Pebeo Expandable Paint on the mountains, Angelina on the stream, and gave some definition to the chimney with black thread. For everything else I used monofiliment thread -- to outline the shapes and in the quilting. I thought the borders had enough elements without adding another color with thread. All the clouds on the top, the trees down the sides and the water on the bottom were free motion stitched with the monofil. I used two layers of poly batting to get these elements to really stand out. Hope you like it.