Monday, November 8, 2010

Learning and Inspiration

This quote from Guila Greer on the QuiltArt forum is exactly how I feel:

"As a relative newcomer to art quilting I'm still finding my way - right now I feel like I'm all over the place. So many of the artists that I admire have work that reflects their style and appears cohesive.  I'm very interested in learning how to proceed.  I'm thinking that it's just a matter of doing a lot of art and it'll develop?  Or are there concrete steps to take to get there? Right now I'm concentrating on learning new techniques so that they'll be available to me to use or not to use in a particular piece."

I've gotten some feedback on working in series and concentrating on design and composition. Thank you to all who have given me feedback so far on my art.

For other newbies like myself I'd like to list what has helped me the most in my learning journey. It's a great journey for I love learning new things. Anyway maybe this will help someone:

- Forums (like QuiltArt) and groups (like Yahoo's Surface Design group)
- Magazines - I love Quilting Arts and Cloth/Paper/Scissors the best
- Nature and my surroundings - just observe
- Other people's art
- Other people's blogs, especially the ones who take the time to create tutorials. Thank you so much. The "Tutorial Tsunami" was extremely helpful.

And here are the books I've purchased, devoured, and learned from. The order of the list starts with those I loved best, although I love them all.
- The Complete Guide to Textile Art, by Susan Stein, 2010


- Fabric Embellishing: The Basics and Beyond, by RUth Chandler, Liz Kettle, Heather Thomas, Lauren Vlcek, 2009



- Dancing With Thread, by Ann Fahl, 2010



- ART CLOTH: A guide to Surface Design for Fabric, by Jane Dunnewold, 2010



- COMPLEX CLOTH, by Jane Dunnewold





- Surface Design Essentials, by Jane Davila, 2010





- Art + Quilt: Design Principles and Creativity Exercises, by Lyric Kinard, 2009



- Watercolor Landscape Quilts, by Cathy Geier, 2006




- Machine Embroidered Woodlands, by Alison Holt, 2009



- Accidental Landscapes, by Karen Eckmeier, 2008


- Luminous Landscapes: Quilted Visions in Paint and Thread, by Gloria Loughman, 2007
- Points of View: Landscape Quilts to Stitch and Embellish, by Valerie Hearder, 2007
- Beautifully Embellished Landscapes, by Joyce R. Becker, 2006
- Landscape Quilts: Create Stunning Fabric Paintings, by Nancy Zieman, Natalie Sewell, 2001
- The Art of Landscape Quilting, by Nancy Zieman, Natalie Sewell, 2007
- Impressionist Quilts, by Gai Perry, 1995
- Quick Watercolor Quilts, by Dina Pappas, 1999
- Exploring Color, by Nita Leland, revised 1998
- Next Steps in Altered Photo Artistry, by Beth Wheeler, 2009,
- The Art of Stitching on Metal, by Ann Parr, 2008
- Simple Silk Ribbon Embroidery by Machine, by Susan Schremph, 2008
- Cutting Garden Quilts, by Melinda Bula, 2007
- Fabric Art Collage: 40+ Mixed-Media Techniques, by Rebekah Meier, 2009
- Machine Applique for the Terrified Quilter, by Sharon Pederson, 2008
- Living the Creative Life, by Rice Freeman-Zachery, 2007
- The New Beader's Companion, by Judith Durant and Jean Campbell, 2005
- Fabulous Fabric Beads, by Kristal Wick, 2008
- Stitched Jewels, by Marthe LeVan, 2009
- Create Your Own Hand-Printed Cloth, by Rayna Gillman, 2008
- Silk Unraveled, by Lorna Moffat, 2008
- Metal Craft Discovery Workshop, by Linda & Opie O'Brien, 2005
- Needlefelting Magic, by Margo Duke, 2007
- Design Magic for Paintstiks on Fabric, by Shelly Stokes, 2010
- Bold and Beautiful: Artful Quilts from Just One Fabric, by Judi Dains, 2009
- 30-Minute Landscapes, by Paul Talbot-Greaves, 2008
- Heartfelt: 25 Projects for Stitched and Felted Accessories, by Teresa Searle, 2006
- Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists, by Ann Baldwin, 2009
- Flowercolor Inspirations, by Linda Glantz, 2009
- Mastering Machine Applique, by Harriet Hargrave, 2001
- This Lustr'd Cloth, by Alison Midgelow-Marsden, 2010

2 comments:

  1. Kim -- Just saw your post on quiltart. Good for you for starting the blog. It'll be a great way to form connections with other artists. My advice is to just start working through all of the techniques you've been reading about and before you know it your own voice will emerge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim, I saw your post on quiltart also and popped over. In order to get the best use from my books and dvds, what I keep trying to do is to pick a couple and work through as if I'm taking a college course.

    I think it is good to be all over the place when you are just beginning...the exploration will eventually lead you to know what you want to explore deeper and do more of.

    ReplyDelete