Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Copper Fleur-de-Lis

FLEUR-DE-LIS

This simple design was taken right out of an online tutorial; sorry but I forgot to write down the web address of the tutorial. Anyway I used 28 gauge copper foil, traced my fleur-de-lis design, and etched it using a wooden skewer; I re-etched it once I turned it over so the tiny circles would stand out; I painted with Adirondack alcohol-based ink; lastly I lightly sanded the edges just for looks. As you can see I stitched it with turquoise thread to match the hand-dyed fabric. The fabric itself is beautiful alone -- this summer I sundyed it with shades of green and blue and laid cheesecloth over it for a subtle pattern. You might not be able to see it in the large picture but it is quilted over two layers of poly batting with a fleur-de-lis pattern. I did this using a purchased embroidery file and of course machine embroidered it. After I did the binding I thought it was too boring and needed something. So instead of throwing it in my UFO pile, I added the strips of fusible bias tape. Do you like it or no? Does it still need more or is simple enough?


Fleur-de-Lis - 16" x 16"




Fleur-de-Lis - detail of center medallion 7" x 6.5"



Fleur-de-Lis - detail of quilting

Please feel free to leave comments -- good or bad. Love you guys!

1 comment:

  1. Like the design, but it would hang/look better with more background quilting, both on the foil and the background fabrics. That would flatten it out so that the main design pops more and help eliminate wrinkles or drooping of fabric. It could still be done if you are careful to smooth fabric and work in fullness of fabric as you quilt. I started off with just minimal quilting myself years ago and had the same problems. Live and learn, right?

    ReplyDelete